Monday 13 July 2009

REVELATIONS

"I wonder what new revelations will surface on the Gerry show this week?" said Tommy my cat, as he sat bolt upright in an antique plastic Chippendale chair wearing a Donegall tweed three piece suit and a lovely pair of pink ballerina slippers. I got stuck into a big bowl of porridge, it's the only way I can get my oats these days and replied-merrily, "Don't you wonder about new revelations Kid, in time, Gerry will reveal the new revelations and the new revelations will be revealing and revolutionary." Tommy leaped-gracefully into the air in his Donegall tweed three piece suit, clicked his little pink ballerina slippers together and replied, "What a rhetorical and retrospective answer." In the silence that followed, I translated, "War and peace" into Ulster/Scots and Tommy drew a comprehensive ground plan of the ancient Mayan city of Ballygooglie, complete with round-a-bouts, off licences and public toilets."I wonder how jolly old Tubby is getting on on his hols?" said Tommy. "He hasn't gone for a swim, is all I know," I said. "Ah, you talk about the absence of tsunamis," said Tommy. "Got it in one my fine feathered friend," I replied. Tommy peeped into a mirror and said, "You know, I wouldn't mind a nose job." "Listen lad!" I yelled, "If I find thee wasting thy hard earned brass on cosmetic surgery, I'll give thee a nose job with my fist, so think on lad!" "I was only saying," said Tommy. "And I'm only saying, think on!" I roared. "If thee thinks that I'm going to stand idly by, while some butcher reshapes thee's hooter with a bread knife, then what I say to thee lad, is think on, think on, that's all I'm saying." "I was only saying," said Tommy. "And I was only saying, think on lad!" I yelled. "Eeh by gum lad, if thee gets thy hooter defaced, think on, that's all I'm saying, think on." "I am-thinking on," said Tommy. "Well think on a bit more lad," I roared. Suddenly, the radio burst into life and Lynda McCauley shrieked, "That's all for today, but don't forget to give me a she-ite tomorrow." And Tommy and I gathered round the radio, to find out what new revelations Gerry would reveal on the first show of the week.
All this and more have I seen from the studio of BBC Ulster, where a pale faced Donna Trainor was hiding in the corner and a red faced Noel Thompson was shouting to a white faced Mark Carruthers, "Jump a stile? Eeh thee couldn't jump a stile lad. Thee would be afraid of getting thy lad-de-da red socks dirty. Jump a stile? you lad?Not you, I would advise thee lad to, "Think on," that's what I say to thee young Carruthers, "Think on!"
"I will--think on by gum," whispered Mark. "In fact I'm looking forward to--thinking on."
12th of July on the 13th, can only mean that Christmas falls on Boxing Day this year. Eeh, I don't know.

No comments: