Monday 30 April 2012

Any News For Gerry?

Welcome back from Syria kid where you spent the last two weeks as a peace observer. When asked by CNN what you thought of the situation, you pushed back a lock of hair, adjusted your aviator sun glasses and said, "Syria is very much like Derry. The people are open and friendly. Another thing Syria has in common with Derry, is that everyone can sing. Beat combos cris-cross the desert like veritable dung beetles. This Friday, I hope to have in the studio Syrian's top group, the "Damascus Melody Tones". When asked if he had brought home a souvenir for 1960's hipster, Mr Coyle, Mr Anderson replied, "Yes, I have as a matter of fact. Wrapped up in the Syrian Chronicle, I have a large piece of dried,camel dung which Mr Coyle can use as a paper weight." According to the Derry Journal, Mr Coyle was gob smacked to receive the gift and yelled out in a strange, falsetto voice, "Oh Mr Anderson, with this dried camel dung you are spoiling me!" Tommy my cat, emerged from the cubby hole under the stairs, where he had been pretending to be a Dyson Vacuum cleaner and said, "NEWS! we must inform Gerry of anything strange, or startling which happened while he was away." I scratched a shrunken head and said, "We could tell him about the Titanic celebrations which caused a panic stricken Jim Rodgers to scream out, "NIGH! NIGH! NIGH! Woman and wains first!" "The Titanic!" snorted Tommy. "Gerry doesn't want to hear about a debacle which vies for prominence with the Hidenburg Zeppelin disaster,the Tower of Babel and the Derry U-boat, which turned out to be a pile of supermarket trollies.". I threw another log on the electric fire and said, "I wonder if Gerry knows that, fire bug, Jordie Tuft, was taken to hospital suffering from piles and smoke inhalation?" "It's the Lough Brickland fire brigade I feel sorry for," said Tommy. "Every week, those brave men have to pull old Jordie out from a smoke filled den, full of livestock, Jeyes fluid and empty cooking sherry bottles." "I wonder what happened this time?" I said. "What means did the arch-arsonist employ to achieve ignition and conflagration?" "Leave it to Gerry," said Tommy. "Sit back and listen as ace reporter Gerry Anderson phones old Jordie and asks pertinent questions relating to the latest bout of instantaneous spontaneous combustion." "Can't wait," I said. . drawing up a chair and pressing my ear to the radio.

No comments: