Saturday 2 July 2011

Stop Or Give Way?

Great show yesterday kid. A great show which broke the news that, "Old dogs, children and watermelon wine" is the favourite song of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands.
How proud Tommy my cat and I were when you stood on the new bridge and declared to the world,
"Today, I too, am a Londonderry heir."
It was the Boston accent which gave the statement the ring of truth and the necklace of humbug and insincerity. Then you threw the butt of a cigarette into the Foyle, jumped up, clicked your heels and airguitar played, "Smoke on the water."
"Look at Anderson," said an auld wan burdened down with care and wrinkles. "You would think he built the bloody bridge himself."
"You're right there Hannah," said another auld wan with water on the knee and air that blew free. "My Willie said that Anderson, didn't even put one brick in the wall."
"Sure I know he didn't," said the first auld wan. "He was too busy sunning himself in Barbados and strutting round Derry like a Hottentot."
"I like wee Sean," said the second auld wan. "He could have been a priest ,you know, but he didn't have the Latin."
(Breathe--and--relax)
"Tommy my cat stormed in full of anger, ire and John West tuna chucks.
"It's gone again!" yelled Tommy. "The STOP! sign on Dead Man's Curve has been stolen--AGAIN!!! I'll swing for those hoodies!" roared Tommy.
"I blushed and said, "It wasn't hoodies who stole the STOP! sign. It was women of a certain age who nail the STOP! signs above their marriage beds when "how's your father, is your mother still working?" has become just another chore like scrubbing the floor."
"Well,knowing women the way I do," said Tommy, "they are not adverse to changing their minds. I would bet that the same women who erect STOP signs in the bedroom also have a GIVE WAY sign under the bed next to the po."
There was nowhere to hide, so I gritted my teeth and concurred right out in the open.
STOP! GIVE WAY! Who would be a married man these days? Not even George Cloony-apparently??

No comments: